Gardening Articles and Videos
Friday & Sat., Oct. 28 - 29 - I need LOTS of help in 2 gardens - Holladay & Taylorsville
10/28/2011 | Sheryl McGlochlin
Work to do in Taylorsville Garden
I would love it if you could
go to this garden ANYTIME between now and Sat. morning.
I am hoping Jennifer Kelly and any others working with her, will get this job done. She will be there Sat. morning (approx. 10 am) if you want to go over and help her. Her contact info is: Jennifer, 919-602-2938, email@example.com
Let me know if you are going.
The work includes...
4 more rows of pulling out dead tomato plants and gathering up all of our black plastic in these rows. Take a few large garbage bags with you to save the black plastic since we will use this again next spring.
The tomato plants go in a big heap in the SOUTHEAST corner of our garden. Look for the pile we have been heaping plants on and just add to it.
I need to know when this work is done, so contact me and give me a report.
Address: 6255 So. 1300 W.
If you are not familiar with this garden, make sure you let me know before going over.
Work to do in Holladay Garden
1. Pick grapes nearby at 2 locations near the Holladay Gardens
2. Go with me at 1 pm to load my entire truck with apples and pumpkins, then help me unload when we get back to my home in Holladay. This is a trade with another business - not picking apples from a tree. (Approx. 3300 So. West Temple). If you have a truck or trailer and can help me carry produce back to Holladay, let me know.
3. Come over on Friday (today) and help me empty my truck which is full of apples and large cherry tomatoes.
4. Work in the greenhouse helping to make room for a lot more food
5. Oversee those who are coming to pick up food. Currently all of the available food is in the greenhouse but since it's loaded with food, we will have a bunch of produce available outside the greenhouse.
6. Sort through the produce (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) and discard any squished or over ripe produce.
Food & Produce Available - Sat. only, 1 - 5 pm, Holladay Garden
Tomatoes - Beautiful perfect LARGE Red Cherry tomatoes and LOTS of them! And plenty of green tomatoes.
Grapes (if we get the help we need to pick them)
Possibly more pumpkins. I'll know by 1 pm and if so, hopefully have them back home by 2 pm.
Mexican Dutch Oven Dinner, Cooking Demo, and Campfire!, Sat. Oct. 29, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
My home in Holladay (in the backyard), 2836 E Casto Lane 5060 So., Holladay UT 84117
Bring a camping chair. Don't have one? We'll provide one.
Optional: Bring something edible to share i.e. side dish, drink, dessert, etc. but it's not required.
5:30 - 8:30 pm: Dutch Oven Cooking Demo (informal)
Dutch Oven Cooking is a great skill to learn for a fun, fall, backyard party but especially for an emergency. It requires no electricity and Dutch Oven meals are super delicious!
For those who want to learn more about Dutch Oven Cooking, I'll demo the different stages of Dutch Oven Cooking from heating the coals, cooking the food, serving the dinner, and cleaning the cast iron cookware. Learn about Dutch Oven supplies, equipment, tables, cooking methods, recipes, etc.
6 - 8:30 pm: Dinner and CampfireRelax, eat, enjoy the fire and company!
Chips and Salsa
Hot Apple Cobbler
Vanilla Ice Cream