Sheryls CC Adventure
Welcome to an uninvited event in my life.
8/28/2013 | Sheryl McGlochlin
Welcome to the biggest adventure trip in my life, so far.
I've had a LOT of wild and crazy adventure trips in my life but this one will go down as the biggest one yet.
I'm going to call this trip: "The CC Adventure Trip".
CC stands for Colon Cancer.
Yes, I feel remorseful for not listening to my mom and getting a colonoscopy when she told me to. I will have to live with the results of that for the rest of my life. Bottom line: Do what your mom says, especially when she repeats it several times. Don't rebel against her, just do it. OK, now let's just move on.
This is not the typical trip I would generally choose to plan, nevertheless it's on the Calendar and it has started already!
Since planning, organizing and promoting trips are a big part of what I do every day in my business, I feel like I know something about this subject, however, this trip has many unknowns.
I know who is coming. It's a lot more people than I generally take on a trip. This trip includes ALL of my family members, extended family members and a whole lot of friends, which are many!!
I know it's not outside, which all of my other adventures are centered around. This one is inside - inside my body mostly.
I know when it started: Monday, August 26, 3013. That's when I personally found out I was going to have a new adventure that I hadn't planned on.
How long will the trip last? Unknown
How much will it cost? Unknown
Where are we going? Unknown
Is it going to be a fun trip? YES!!! regardless of what happens it will be a very great, wonderful experience!
So all I know right now is who is going with me, it has already started, it's inside rather than outside and will be a lot of fun since no one wants to go on a trip that isn't going to be fun, so let's decide right now that this trip will be FUN!
Every trip I've been on this year, which has been about 13 so far, has had a LOT of great moments but also some not so good ones. I am learning that regardless of what trip you may plan, whether it's on a remote beautiful dessert island with perfect weather, etc. there will for sure be some "not so pleasant" moments. This one is no different.
I'm inviting you to join me on this adventure trip and to keep in touch with me through this blog.
It will allow me to document the whole experience and keep people informed.
My hope is that besides me being able to put my thoughts in writing, I'll be able to share my day to day feelings with you on what is happening.
I know this trial will have meaningful purpose. I hope to help others:
- know that there are many people out there who love you and want to help you. I feel this love from many people, from my vast support team
- increase their own faith in God and know that by our own faith we are healed. Faith really does precede miracles. I live by the words of President Thomas S. Monson, which have been true with my own experience: "Your future is as bright as your faith!" I have a lot of faith and put my trust in my Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, BOTH of which I know love me very much and know me personally. I feel their love and guidance DAILY in my life, which has been the case for many years, so there are no doubts that I will continue to receive a lot of heavenly help.
- feel gratitude for everything that comes their way - the good, the bad and the ugly. Someone once paid me a very big compliment by saying "Sheryl blooms where ever she is planted." Whether or not that is really the case, I want to believe it, since it's something I strive for. Whatever curve ball I'm thrown in life, I don't want to complain about it, even though I unfortunately sometimes do, I really just want to figure out how to catch it!
- Know that the merciful really do receive mercy. (Blessed are the merciful; for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 5:7). Life really is like a big boomerang - whatever you dish out in life, that is what will come back and hit you in the face. Luckily for me, I honestly have tried to dish out a lot of kindness and compassion to others in my daily life and I feel it coming back to me 10 fold.
- Know that great and wonderful things often come from bad experiences. That's how my hiking group was started. I'll never forget a friend of mine many years ago, who told me, after her 3 month old daughter died, she expressed her feelings this way: "Before the baby was born, everything seemed fine. Then, she was born, complications came one right after another before she finally died. it was like I had prepared to go to Italy on a trip but instead of landing in Italy, we landed in Holland. Holland is very beautiful too, but we had our hearts set on Italy." Since we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us really well, we sometimes want our lives to go in one direction, when in reality, He is leading us down another, much better path than the one we had picked to go on.
So thank you again, for taking the time to read this and care about me and my family.
I know one thing that will for sure come out of this experience - A LOT more empathy for those who suffer with cancer or other illnesses - whether they be emotional, mental, physical, social, etc.
I ask that you pray for me since I know that God does really hear every prayer that is uttered - either silently or vocally.
I'll share my thoughts and from time to time, I'll let you know if I need help with something.
As of today, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, I continue to be very active, feeling great and happy. I feel like nothing has changed except that I have more knowledge about what is going on inside my body. My schedule hasn't changed much at all, except I'm starting to add more doctor appointments to my life.
Most of all, thank you so much for your support. Whether you are part of my family, extended family, friend, garden member, neighbor, hiker, ski companion, or whatever, I really do love you and appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers, love and support. I can already feel it.
I feel extremely grateful to be surrounded by so many good, caring people in my life.
I love you all.